How to Make Safety a Priority as a Truck Driver
Truck driver safety is a TransForce core value, and the most important employee benefit we can provide is a safe working environment.
Driving and working in warehouses is physically and mentally demanding. Workplace injuries can result in significant pain and lengthy recoveries. Our goal is to keep our drivers injury free! That is why we continually emphasize the importance of safe behaviors. We also work closely with our customers to ensure they provide safe working environments. Your safety is a shared responsibility between TransForce, our customers and you. We encourage you to start each day with a commitment to safety. Let “SAFETY FIRST” be your motivator throughout your day and pledge to get through each workday accident-free.
Follow these tips to do your part in staying safe:
- Don’t take any shortcuts when it comes to performing your job safely
- Wear appropriate personal protective equipment
- Pay attention to your surroundings at all times
- Always complete pre and post-trip inspections
- Never operate unsafe vehicles or equipment
- Make sure your loads are secure
- If loading/unloading, make sure stacks are at a safe height that doesn’t obstruct your view or put undue stress on your limbs
- Break down loads to make them manageable
- Use proper body mechanics while twisting and bending and always lift with your legs, not your back
- Slow down, make every step a safe step
- Don’t ever jump or hop down
- Keep three points of contact and always exit facing the truck
- Don’t drive distracted
- Always wear seatbelts
- Use extra caution when it’s dark and/or during bad weather
- Incorporate these and other safe driving behaviors into every day until they become habit.
Safety matters every day.
Take a second and ask yourself, “Do I perform my job every day in the safest way possible?” If the answer is no, mentally note or write down what you’re going to change starting right now. Make it your goal to make safety second nature so that the next time you start to perform an unsafe act, it will just feel wrong and you will correct it right away!
For more safe driving tips, visit transforce.com/blog.