Minimum Driver Requirements
Please review the following requirements and click on the “Apply Online” link at the bottom of this page. Only applications that meet or exceed the Minimum Driver Requirements will be accepted.
Department of Transportation Minimum Requirements*:
- 21 years of age
- Can sufficiently speak the English language
- Can safely operate the type of equipment he/she will be assigned to drive
- Is physically qualified
- Has valid license to operate a commercial motor vehicle
- Provided TransForce with list of moving violations in the past three years
- Is not disqualified to drive
- Has road test certificate or equivalent (as defined in Section 391.33, usually a CDL)
TransForce Additional Minimum Standards**:
- Experience – A minimum of one year of recent¹ experience driving the type of equipment that the driver will be assigned to operate.
- Accidents – No DOT defined accidents in the past three years in which the driver was convicted for a moving violation in connection with the crash or charged with responsibility for the crash – in any type of motor vehicle.
- Violations – No more than three moving violations in any type of motor vehicle in the past three years.
- No convictions for any of the following offenses (in any type of vehicle) in the past seven years. These violations include:
– Driving under the influence of alcohol (.04 or greater alcohol concentration, driving under the influence as prescribed by state law, or refusing to test)
– Driving under the influence of a controlled substance
– Leaving the scene of an accident
– More than one excessive speeding violation (15 mph or more above the posted speed limit)
– Reckless driving
– A moving violation in connection with a fatal accident
– Vehicular manslaughter or vehicular homicide
– Eluding a police officer
– Operating a vehicle with a suspended or revoked license
We will run a nationwide background check to reveal disqualifying criminal convictions.
* Applies to all drivers operating commercial motor vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating or actual weight of 10,001 or more (whichever is greater).
** Applies to all TransForce drivers.
¹ Recent is generally defined as within the past 24 months.